In past years I have usually done a two day lesson on Mondrian. We paint large black lines across our body and then paint in primary colors the next lesson. This year I have a young (er) group of students and since it's only week 3 they are still learning procedures in the art room. I decided instead to discuss line in a different way. On top of that some wonderful staff member put a HUGE stack of precut strips of colored paper on my desk. I HAVE AN IDEA! We discussed how lines can bend and fold and go over and under. The students were so excited. I also tried out plastic containers with sponges soaked in glue.
Much less messy but make sure the sponges are just barely moist as water and glue make an adhesive that may not stick as well.
An update on the master's research...10 more weeks and I won't know what to do with the 20+ hours I will have to, oh I don't know, create ART!